Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sorry to call so late...

The Message:

"Sorry to call so late, but I was wondering if you were available to babysit. My husband and I are going out to celebrate our eight year anniversary tonight. It was really two days ago but he was out of town. He bumped his flight back a half a day and got in at 11:00 that night so that we could still see each other on the actual day, but that didn't leave us any time for dinner. And last night, well, he was still on Central time so we barbecued with the kids at 4:00. So that brings us to tonight. So I was hoping, if you don't have anything going on, I'd really appreciate it if the kids could come over for a bit. The restaurant is just around the corner from your house and we'll bring some dessert... Call me back."

The Return Call:

"Aren't you guys still separated?"

Yeah... I get that a lot.

While my husband and I are still separated, we are dating. And because we are married, there's no guilt in having sex. (I'm a recovering Catholic, what can I say?) Aside from not falling for bullshit lies that get told when you're dating, the other big bonus is that he really really likes my kids! There are some important things that need to be ironed out before we can make any big changes towards a full reconciliation, if that's even the way this will all play out. But hey...

one day at a time.

...

Happy Anniversary, Fly Boy. I love you.

...

4 comments:

Lu said...

you are so deep it is scary...i think it is wonderful you two are still cool with each other and celebrate a time that i am sure was full of happiness. be blessed, my friend.

Ann said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope it's wonderful!

Lori said...

I love it...I think that it's great that although you are seperated, you really are still married and giving it a chance by still dating and being smart by not making a permanant decision until bigger issues are figured out. That is something to celebrate...Happy Anniversary by the way!

Unknown said...

I think everyone who is married would like to keep dating their spouse. This is the sanest thing to come from your family for a long time. I am proud of you and you should know that and you should be proud of you too, and him. Work at it.