Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's a Story... of a Man Named Brady

Ahhh the Brady's. I loved them. I laughed with them. I cried with them. I danced with them. And when the Brady sisters got married all those years later, I cleared my calendar to make sure I got to see the episode. I instantly believed that all the products Mrs. Brady peddled were supreme as they were endorsed by the Best Mom Ever.

I wanted to be a Brady more than anything else in the world.

My mom used to get mad at me for wanting that kind of life. She used to yell at me about how silly I was. I guess she was just upset at her own insecurities and took them out on me. I actually discussed this with my "doctor" the other day... just to find out that many Latch-Key Gen-X'ers had clung to images of family to survive their parents' Self-Actualization, Me-Me-Me crap. Their knee jerk divorces and search for their personal best left a whole generation drowning in their wake.

I guess that's why I am separated and trying to figure things out with my husband rather than tossing it all in and going the route of our parent's, inflicting more pain and insecurity on future generations. It's what I feel is the right thing to do.

This article in Newsweek really spoke to me.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/131838?GT1=43002

The more I think I'm alone and the only one that had my experience, the more I have come to realize that there are whole sub-cultures of every one of my experiences. In a way, I'm relieved... but now I have to find something else to be "special" for. I know! How about something...

GOOD.

...

No comments: