Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sappy Feel Good Chain eMails

I don't normally read anything that says FW: FW: FW: You have to read this! They bog down my in-box. They list the most trite advice. They come with silly cartoons of animated animals and dancing flowers.

But sometimes, they come just at the right moment.

I got one of those sappy advice emails tonight. I know my friend means it as an electronic hug, so I opened it. There were some things about exercise and food and all that. It all made sense but nothing that stood out to me. Almost at the end, I got to the good ones. The following was the portion of the list that I found so timely for me and, I think, just great advice for being a decent human:

25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
(CAN I GET AN AMEN?!)
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words:
"In five years, will this matter?"
27. Forgive everyone for everything. (eeeekkkk... )
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time time! (Yeah!)
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
(I am living walking proof of this one!)
31. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
(Oh my soul... yes... yes...)

Numbers 25 and 31 are my life right now. I'm working (really trying, anyway) on Number 27. The others are just good ways to live. I wonder what life would be like if others followed, or at least moved towards some of these ideas. Hmmm... that would be nice. Less grumpiness. Less misunderstanding. More time spent on the positive. More time smiling.

And then I woke up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which one(s) stand out for you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: